Friday, September 3, 2010

damn crank

It was my first bicycle ride since I had got back from my holiday, I was seriously unfit, just getting about five minutes from my house and I was already struggling. I still had the feat of climbing Richmond hill ahead of me. I went with a friend but had to wait ages for him to get to my house before we could set off on our way. We had arranged to meet Dominic near his work then go on a sort of mini pub crawl around the Ham/Richmond area.
On the way back home, we managed to get through Richmond park in the pitch darkness, I could feel there was something not quite right about my bicycle. When we got to Kingston bridge my left side crank fell off, I was in a bit of a predicament, I would have to walk over an hour to get home now. I tried to go along without it, it wasn't really happening. Andrew my friend gave me a hand by letting me hold onto his bag and he pulled me along for a bit.
Suddenly out of nowhere he spotted a guy on the side or the road doing something to a bike. We stopped along side and I asked him if he had a ratchet I could use to try and get the bolt back on so I could at least ride my bicycle home and sort it out another time. I was expecting him to simply bring out a set of ratchets and leave me be to try and sort it. Oh no, he did it all himself, he pretty much fixed me bike, enough to get me home fine.
What a cool guy, he was a serious biker and said he was loading his bike into his car as he was going to take part in a mountain bike race the following day. I wished him luck, said thanks and left.

No comments:

Post a Comment